The Key To Self Care: Embrace the Boring Bits
Self-care isn’t just about treating yourself (although treating yourself is fun and feels great). It’s about setting yourself up for success by taking good care of yourself, down to the boring details. It may not seem exciting to do these little things, like cleaning your space or being proactive with your health, but establishing these habits will help build a foundation for you to live your best life.
Here’s a list of boring self-care ideas to round out your self-care routine:
- Be compassionate with yourself
- Curate your social media to be a positive space
- Reduce tolerations
- Reduce clutter
- Set up a budget
- Clean up your computer or tablet
- Spend 15 minutes outside every day
- Schedule outstanding appointments
- Catch up on laundry
- Make your bed
- Clean out the space under your bed
- Wash your dishes
- Track your moods
- Ask for help when you need it
- Spend time alone if you need it
- Practice saying ‘no’ and having that be a complete sentence
- Establish healthy boundaries with friends and family (and ask other folks about theirs)
Of course, you don’t have to do all of these (or any of these) on a regular basis. That’s the great thing about self-care: it’s extremely personal. What works for someone else might not work for you, and vice versa. That’s okay. All that means is that we’re different.
If you’re looking for more things to add to your list, take a few moments to assess how you feel when you’re done doing something. Ask yourself questions like:
- Is this something that adds value to your life?
- Do you feel a sense of pride or relief now that you are done?
- Would doing this regularly help you live your best life?