Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) Evaluations in Columbus
Any individual who has had a positive alcohol or drug screen in a safety sensitive position with the Department of Transportation (DOT) is required to see a qualified professional for an evaluation.
Holistic Consultation not only provides evaluations for employees, but also consultation for employers regarding DOT related rules and regulations. As an added service to employers, we also provide the required trainings regarding substance use and abuse. We help you understand the specific steps of the evaluation and the return-to-duty process.
We also understand the urgency and sensitivity of the situation and are able to accommodate quick scheduling with appointments available on Saturday and Sundays.
What is a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP)?
- A Substance Abuse Professional has met the specific credentials, qualifications and passed the qualification exam for the Department of Transportation (DOT).
- The Substance Abuse Professional evaluates employees who have violated a DOT drug and alcohol regulation and makes recommendations concerning education, treatment, continuing care and follow-up testing.
What does a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) Do?
- Conducts a face-to-face initial evaluation and clinical assessment to determine the level of assistance needed to resolve any substance issues.
- Recommends and refers to an appropriate education and/or treatment program.
- Monitors progress.
- Conducts a face-to-face follow-up evaluation to verify successful recommendation and treatment plan completion
What are some examples of organizations you work with?
- Federal Aviation – FAA
- Federal Railroad – FRA
- Federal Transport – FTA
- Freight Transport – FMCSA
- Marine – USCG
- Pipeline & Hazardous Materials – PHMSA
How can I get started?
- Company name, address and phone number
- Employee name, employee status, address, phone number, and date of birth
- Violation and date of violation
- Name of Designated Employee Representative
- Who is responsible for payment (the employer or the employee)
If you refer an employee, potential employee or are a self referral, the following information is needed during the initial call:
How does payment work?
SAP services are offered on a fee for service schedule and are not typically reimbursed by insurance providers.
- The fee for each SAP evaluation is $500. This includes the evaluation, referral to treatment and/or education, case management and a follow up evaluation
- 50% ($250) of the total cost is required to schedule the initial appointment. If the employee keeps the initial appointment, the $250 will be used towards the total cost of the evaluation.
- The remaining $250 is due when the employee attends the initial appointment. If the employee fails to keep the initial appointment the $250 is nonrefundable.