How to Know If Online Therapy Is Right for You
Online therapy, sometimes called telehealth, is growing in popularity. Many practices (including Holistic Consultation!) have started offering their services in an online format. But what does online therapy consist of, and how do you know if it’s the right choice for you?
Online therapy allows you and your clinician to meet from separate locations through audio and video over the internet. You will use a program to meet – your therapist will help you get it set up and troubleshoot any issues.
Online therapy is an option that offers convenience and comfort for many people. As with all things, online therapy isn’t for everyone. Here are some reasons why online therapy might be the right choice for you:
- Convenience: It can be a nightmare sometimes trying to rearrange your schedule for every little thing you need to do. With online therapy, you can take out the commute time and the waiting time you used to spend on your therapy sessions. You can just log on for your session, spend your allotted time there, and when you’re done, jump right back into your day.
- Consistency: If you move to a new place within the state that you are already seeing your therapist in, you can likely continue your sessions with the same therapist via telehealth. This can help give you a sense of comfort and familiarity in a time of change.
- Comfort: While many therapy offices are soothing and peaceful, there is something to be said for receiving therapy in an environment where you feel at home. If you get anxious at the idea of going to a new place, online therapy can give you the sense of comfort you need to open up.
- Accessibility: If you have a hard time physically getting into spaces, online therapy might be a great option for you. Instead of having to make special accommodations every week, you can simply log on and go from there.
- Effectiveness: Research shows that online therapy is just as effective as in-person therapy. In fact, since such a small number of people actually seek treatment for mental health issues, having a more convenient option may actually make therapy more helpful for certain people.
Depending on your needs, however, online therapy might not be the best fit for you (and that’s okay!). Here are some reasons why online therapy might not work for someone:
- Poor internet connection: If you can’t connect to the internet to meet with your therapist, then online therapy probably isn’t the best fit for you.
- Not comfortable with technology: Likewise, if you are simply not comfortable using the technology required to meet with your therapist, then you might want to skip this type of therapy.
- Lack of privacy at home: If you don’t feel comfortable talking in your home or if you don’t have privacy, coming into a therapy office might be a better choice.
- Severity of the condition you’re looking to treat: Some conditions simply require more direct treatment than others. Your therapist can help you determine if this is the case for you.
If you think online could be a good fit for you, get in touch with our office and we can help you get started.
Holistic Consultation now offers Online Therapy
We asked and you answered. In our recent client feedback survey, one of the most requested services was to offer online therapy. Great news. Holistic Consultation is now a Telemental Health Certified practice and several of our clinicians are now Telemental Health Experts who see clients throughout Ohio.
New online appointments will allow you to receive the same quality care as you do in person. While online therapy is not everyone, it has some advantages over in-person therapy. Many clients share that it is more convenient and more comfortable.
We are very excited about this new option because it means no waiting and travel time, and you won’t have to take time off school, work or other priorities. Plus, it’s 100% HIPAA compliant and secure.
Registration has begun for our summer support groups that will resume in August, and we have more groups starting up in the fall.
Group therapy is intended to help all active clients to learn to form a common identity and a sense of shared purpose with others who have faced similar concerns.
As space is limited, find out more about how to sign up for the summer groups we’re offering here, and learn about our autumn offerings here.