Have you ever wondered if a friend or family member is depressed? Thanks to Helpguide.org, here are 10 signs to look for to see if someone is depressed:
- Feeling helpless or hopeless; this can sometimes lead to suicidal ideations.
- Loss of interest in daily activities. This can include showering, brushing teeth, washing hair and going to work or school.
- Appetite or weight changes. People who are depressed can each too much or too little. They can lose or gain weight.
- Sleep disturbances. People who are depressed can sleep all the time or not at all.
- Anger or irritability – this is a key sign in men who are depressed.
- Loss of energy and feeling lethargic.
- Self-loathing or self-hatred; poor self-esteem.
- Reckless behavior, substance abuse, gambling, reckless driving, dangerous sports and taking risks that are outside the norm.
- Concentration problems at work or school.
- Unexplained aches and pains.
There is also a biological link between depression and anxiety. It is important to assess for anxiety while also assessing for depression. Oftentimes the two go hand in hand. The coping skills for depression can also be excellent coping skills for anxiety.
If you or a family member or friend have these or any other signs of depression or anxiety, please feel free to contact Holistic Consultation. We have many therapists who are trained to work with persons coping with anxiety, depression and many other mental health concerns.
Remember, your mental and physical health are very important! Holistic Consultations is here to help you understand your mental and emotional health so that you can continue to be growing in every way possible. Be safe, be well and be fully you.
– Renee Ahern, PhD, MS, MDiv, LPCC-S